Table of Contents Hide
Dead & Company is a band formed in 2015, featuring former Grateful Dead members Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann, along with musician John Mayer, bassist Oteil Burbridge, and keyboardist Jeff Chimenti. This ensemble came together to continue the Grateful Dead’s legacy by performing their music for new and old fans alike, blending the iconic sounds of the original band with new influences.
The Formation and Evolution
After the Grateful Dead’s “Fare Thee Well” concerts in 2015, which marked the band’s 50th anniversary and the final performances of the core members together, Dead & Company was formed to carry on the music. The band quickly gained a following, as they brought a fresh take on the Grateful Dead’s expansive catalog, with Mayer’s blues-influenced guitar playing and the seasoned rhythm section of the original members.
Touring and Live Performances
Dead & Company has been known for their energetic and improvisational live performances, which are a hallmark of the Grateful Dead experience. They embarked on multiple tours across the United States, selling out stadiums and amphitheaters and attracting a diverse audience of Deadheads, new fans, and music lovers. Their concerts are celebrated for their setlists, which vary significantly from night to night, keeping the spirit of spontaneity alive.
The Final Tour
As time went on, the members of Dead & Company aged, and the intensity of touring began to take its toll. In 2024, the band announced their final tour, giving fans one last opportunity to see them perform live. The final tour was met with a bittersweet response from the community, as it marked the end of an era for the band, but it also celebrated their successful run and the joy they brought to many.
Legacy and Impact
Dead & Company’s impact on the music world is significant. They not only kept the Grateful Dead’s music alive but also introduced it to a new generation. Their performances have been a testament to the timeless nature of the Grateful Dead’s songs and the enduring community that has formed around their music. The band’s legacy is one of bridging the gap between the past and the present, honoring tradition while also making it accessible to the future.
- Dead & Company was formed in 2015 by original Grateful Dead members and new collaborators, including John Mayer.
- The band continued the Grateful Dead’s legacy, attracting both longtime fans and new audiences with their live performances.
- Known for their improvisational style, Dead & Company’s concerts featured varied setlists and a vibrant live music experience.
- In 2024, Dead & Company embarked on their final tour, marking the end of their touring era.
- The band’s legacy is one of musical innovation, community building, and the preservation of the Grateful Dead’s cultural impact for future generations.