A Rockville family has been displaced after discarded fireworks sparked a blaze that caused over $1.25 million in damages. According to WTOP News, the fire broke out on July 4th at around 11 p.m. in the 100 block of Monroe Street. The family of five managed to escape the blaze unharmed, but their home was destroyed.
Community Rallies to Support Displaced Family
The fire has left the family with nothing but clothes on their backs, and the community has rallied to support them. A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to help the family get back on their feet, and donations of clothing and other essentials are being accepted at a local church. The family has expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support and vowed to rebuild their home.
Update – Rosecroft Rd, SFH; Origin/Cause, plastic bag full of discarded fireworks (purchased out of county) ignited cardboard/plastic fireworks, spread to nearby shrubbery, other exterior combustibles/siding; Damage ~$1.25M; 3 adults, 1 child, 1 pet displaced; 1 FF NLT injury https://t.co/723LnEYVCZ pic.twitter.com/2RKkV9HVLG— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) July 5, 2023
The incident serves as a reminder of the dangers of fireworks and the importance of proper disposal. The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service has urged residents to dispose of fireworks in a metal container filled with water and never to attempt to relight a “dud” firework. The authorities are also investigating the incident and are urging anyone with information to come forward.
This tragedy has left a family without a home and is a cautionary tale for all residents who plan to use fireworks. We hope the family can recover from this devastating incident and the community will continue supporting them during this difficult time. (source: WTOP News)