Prince Georgians are encouraged to attend the upcoming public hearings scheduled for Wednesday, February 8 and Thursday, February 9. The Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS) and Prince George’s County Board Of Education will host the hearings, providing parents and residents an opportunity to speak on recommended improvements of grade structure and school boundaries.
Individuals interested in testifying at one of the public hearings will need to sign up in advance. Written comments may be submitted at the Board Office (address is provided below) in person, by mail or email: email@example.com.
If the changes are approved, they will not be implemented until the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year.
Recommended Boundary Changes:
- The portion of Calverton Elementary that is assigned to Buck Lodge Middle would be reassigned to Martin L. King Jr. Middle for grades 6-8.
- New enrollments from homes located in The Preserves community, and homes off of Danville Road and Floral Park Road, would be reassigned from Accokeek Academy to Fort Washington Forest Elementary for grades PreK-5.
- The portion of Melwood Elementary that is assigned to Stephen Decatur Middle would be reassigned to James Madison Middle for grades 6-8.
- New enrollments from the homes located in the Kaywood Gardens Apartment complex, the City of North Brentwood, and the City of Brentwood that are east of 38th Street and south of the intersection of Volta Avenue and 39th Street would be reassigned from Thomas Stone Elementary to Mt. Rainier Elementary for grades PreK-6.
- The portion of the Kentland neighborhood in Landover that is assigned to DuVal High would be reassigned to Fairmont Heights High for grades 9-12.
Recommended Grade Configuration Changes:
- The following elementary schools would send their sixth grade to middle school: Ardmore, Carmody Hills, Clinton Grove, Cora L. Rice, District Heights, Flintstone, Francis Scott Key, Glassmanor, Kingsford, Oxon Hill, Rose Valley, Valley View and William Beanes.
- The middle schools which would be impacted include: Drew-Freeman, Ernest Everett Just, G James Gholson, Gwynn Park, Isaac Gourdine, Oxon Hill, Stephen Decatur and Thurgood Marshall.
For those that would like to testify at the scheduled February 8 public hearing, you will need to sign up at the Department of Pupil Accounting and School Boundaries (see below for phone number) by the end (closes at 4:30 p.m.) of the day of the hearing.
Department of Pupil Accounting and School Boundaries
14201 School Lane, Room 211
Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772
For those that want to speak at the February 9 public, you will need to sign up at the Board Office (see below for phone number) by the end (closes at 6:30 0.m.) of the day of the hearing.
Prince George’s County Board Office
Information provided by the Prince George’s County Public School System.