The economic impact of the coronavirus natural disaster has been swift with numerous companies laying off workers from coast to coast. Powell’s City of Books is among the companies carrying out mass layoffs due to the COVID-19 outbreak. This week, the company filed a WARN in Oregon. It explains that the unforeseeable, dramatic downturn in business and occupancy caused by the coronavirus natural disaster has resulted in layoffs at several Oregon facilities.
- Corporate Office – 7 NW 9th Avenue Portland, OR
- Burnside Store – 1005 West Burnside Portland, OR
- Cedar Hills Store – 3415 SW Cedar Hills Boulevard Beaverton, OR
- Hawthorne Store – 3723 SE Hawthorne Boulevard Portland, OR
- Home & Garden Store – 3747 SE Hawthorne Boulevard Portland, OR
- Industrial Warehouse – 2720 NW 29th Avenue Portland, OR
All impacted employees have or will be notified of their separation dates. The layoff is expected to be permanent and began on March 19, 2020. It is anticipated that all separations will be accomplished by March 31, 2020.
All workers are represented by ILWU Local 5. Some of these employees will have bumping rights. In total, the company will be laying off 389 workers ranging from Inventory Generalists to Booksellers. The full WARN can be found here.