Another Violent Night In Baltimore Ended With Six Killings

From Monday night through early Tuesday morning, six people were killed in separate shootings, along with two others being wounded in Baltimore. The killings prompted an announcement from the Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis, calling for a weeklong deployment plan to put more officers on the street.

The initiative went into effect immediately, work schedules for all detectives and patrol officers would be altered, increasing the standard 10-hour shift by two hours. Every capable sworn officer would be deployed, Davis said.

Davis said that he and community members are “pissed off” about the latest string of violence.

Violent Weekend In Baltimore

“We’re just as angry and frustrated and ticked off about it as anyone else watching and I expect people to be upset,” Davis said. “I expect people to want a better Baltimore, to want a sense of peace and tranquility that when they leave their home or go to their car or go to the store or go to work or walk in the neighborhood that they don’t have to put up with this crap.”

“We get that and we understand that and we’re going to keep fighting our way through this,” he said. “There is nowhere for us to run. There’s nowhere for us to hid. We are responsible for public safety in the city of Baltimore and we’re going to keep working our hearts out until we get to a safer and better place. You can trust me on that.”

Davis said he and Mayor Catherine Pugh is in “constant contact” about the violence. He also said the heightened deployments would be effective throughout the weekend and is similar to those utilized in the past.

The cost of the deployments was not disclosed to the public. The department is lacking in patrol officers to fill shifts and grapples with overspending. In fact, each year the department spends tens of millions of dollars on overtime.

The overnight violence included a quadruple shooting in East Baltimore that left two people dead, one injured and one in critical condition, three separate shootings in Southwest Baltimore claimed the lives of three people and a separate incident near the Canton waterfront claimed the life of a male victim, who had been shot in the head.

So far this year, the city has recorded a total of 159 homicides, including the six killings overnight.

Police were called to the 1100 block of Mount Holly Street around 8:20 p.m. The victim was transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center for treatment of a gunshot wound, but was pronounced dead soon after.

Around 10:35 p.m. Monday, police discovered a 37-year-old woman at the 1700 block of Gertrude Street in Southwest Baltimore. Charmane Wilson was transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

About an hour before, police responded to the same block that Wilson lived on for a report of a common assault.

Officers responded to a call at the 200 block of South Bentalou Street, where 28-year-old Rodney Wheatley was discovered with gunshot wounds to the arm and back. Wheatley was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead.

On Tuesday morning around 2:45 a.m., police were called to the 2500 block of Boston Street in Canton. A male victim was lying on the ground with a gunshot wound to the forehead. The victim was pronounced dead at an area hospital.

A quadruple shooting was reported around 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday at the 1200 block of Bonaparte Avenue in Midway. Four shooting victims were found and transported to a nearby hospital.

A female and 26-year-old man succumbed to their injuries, police said.

A male was treated at the hospital and later released, while a 24-year-old man was treated and is now listed in critical condition.

This entry was posted in Maryland News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *